The company Lumber Liquidators is facing two class action lawsuits in Nevada after a Las Vegas woman says she is moving out of her home because her new floors are allegedly toxic and making her family sick.
The company was recently featured on a CBS 60 Minutes investigation which found that some of the floor samples tested had higher levels of formaldehyde than what is acceptable.
The segment has spurred several lawsuits across the country from people who bought the same floors as those tested as part of the investigation.
Rosie Oakes had brand new wall-to-wall liquidator flooring put inside her home but within days she says her eyes started watering, her dog developed an eye infection and her husband was having difficulty breathing.
Formaldehyde is known to cause breathing problems and has also been linked to cancer.
After seeing the segment, Oakes said it explained her family’s health issues and she is moving out of her home until the floors can be tested.
Oakes’ lawyer has filed a federal suit against Lumber Liquidators alleging they are negligent for selling the laminate flooring.
“You have, not only the product defect, you have the complete violation of disclosure of what the product was advertised to be in terms of safety or non-safety,” he said.